Friday, May 29, 2009

Eating White Flour for the First time in a while - now I feel sick.

Let's start with the workout:
I was in a very huge rush. I had to be at a lab class at 7 a.m. What?
This meant to get in a 1 hour run, plus a 45 shower, dressing, blow drying and make uping, i needed to be out by 5:15, leave the apartment by 4:45, wake up at 4:15, oh and then there was the commute to work...
I got to bed at 2 a.m. last night. Getting up at 3:45 was not going to happen.
Instead, I woke up at 5:30. I sped to the trail, wore the clothes I slept in running, took a quick shower, skipped the make up, put my hair up wet, and wore the first thing I grabbed from my closet (I have never looked more stunning).
This meant only 30 minutes for running. I was so tired I never really got going. I ran a total of 1 mile. With water breaks. I'm ashamed.

So my incredible workout of course gave me a great excuse to eat unhealthy foods and stuff myself untill it hurt. I'm being sarcastic of course, but it is interesting that the day I had a bad workout I ate more than the days I have a great, heart pumping and calorie blasting workout.

Since I was in such a hurry, for breakfast, I grabbed the last half of a ginger snap Larabar:

Later, we went to lunch. Mexican. I was very good about my order. I ordered the Veggie plate: sauteed mushrooms, grilled zucchini, mixed vegetables, and salad sans cheese and dressing. Unfortunately, my virtuous order did not stop this:
The chip bowl. I was not prepared. I did not stand a chance against the fried white flour.
I decided just to have one chip. Then another. Before I knew it, the entire bowl of chips was gone (I had a little help though).
Lunch came then.
The sauteed mushrooms were amazing, but I had them boxed up and ate them later.
Here is the salsa I ate with the chips (it was amazing):
I did not take a picture of the veggies that I ate at the restaurant. I felt sheepish taking the photo of the chips and was too timid to take any more. But let me tell you, the Zucchini was amazing. Also unpictured, I was feeling bad about eating the white flour chips, and, naturally, I ate none other than a white flour tortilla to make the pain go away. It did not work for long.

Later, I came home to 1 piece of Ezekiel with 2 tbs peanut butter.
A Larabar (cashew cookie, one of my favorites):
A handful of almonds:
Brussels (steamed):
And I decided I would be brave and try a raw dessert recipe.
This was for "walnut cream cake." I adapted the recipe from here.
Original recipe:
1 cup ground walnuts
1 cup raisins ground up
1 tsp vanilla

Combine and mix well. Press into pie dish or flat plate.

Topping
Blend
1/2 cup walnuts
2-3 tbl raw honey
juice of one lemon

Add water in small amounts if needed. Pour over base. Decorate: I usually add chopped bananas in the middle...

I substituted the walnuts with almonds because I don't enjoy the "walnut aftertaste" (am I the only one who tastes this), got rid of the honey because a. I don't have raw honey, and b. I am trying to stay away from honey, syrups, sugars/evaporated cane juice, etc because they are so addictive, and I didn't make the "topping" because I figured without honey, I'd just be adding on ground almonds.
Also, I added 2.5 tbs of water to the almond and raisin mixture.

Here are the ground raisins and almonds before mixing:
In the blender:
In a ball after I added the water:
And in the "cake" form.
Now, I actually halfed the recipe. Overall, I liked that, though I enjoy Larabars, since this recipe called for raisins instead of dates (which seem to be in every other raw recipe) it tastes different than many other raw food desserts. The texture of the cake, as I made it, was a bit softer and less crumbly than a Larabar. Also, the label of "dessert" is very accurate. Even without the honey, the cake I made, because of the raisins, was very sweet. Also, even as I halfed the recipe and took out the honey, the entire thing worked out to about 400 calories. If you are not trying to lose weight, are about 400 calories short one day, or are having a sweet craving, I highly recommend this. I do like the taste (it reminds me of a rich and semi sticky honey cake), and it is healthy and loaded with nutrients (unlike refined sugar), but the calories are so concentrated, I fear that as a sort of snack or breakfast this might not seem substantial. Psychologically, I know that I feel more full when I have eaten a large volume vs. a small one (e.g. 100 calories of spinach vs. 100 calories of almonds). This was very fun to make though, and I am excited to experiment with more raw foods.

After much anticipation, I cracked open this new bar I discovered at whole foods:
An organic raw energy bar with SPIRLINA? I was estatic. Ingredients: superfood, superfood, superfood.
The taste.... disappointing. Maybe it was just this flavor (I've often had a hard time stomaching spirlina). I wanted so badly for this to taste good. However, there were many many other bars and one of these days, when I have extra money to spend of expensive organic energy bars that I may or may not like, I will try them. I was eyeing a apricot flavored one (and the many flax seeds, I'm a sucker for anything organic that has flax seeds). We'll see. I only ate a bite of this today, and maybe I can make myself like this. This could very well be the first time Whole Foods has disappointed me.

Later, I went to a party and ate watermelon, and couple of cookies. And the first glass of wine I've had in a year. I don't even like wine, why am I eating and drinking foods I don't even like?

Then I came home and did not touch food, except for the two huge bowls of popcorn. Yes it was organic and air popped and low cal (that is if you don't eat as much as I did), but was I at all hungry? No. Did this make me feel better? Not really.

So much crap food. I feel awful. I am so full I feel like I could never eat again. My eyes are glazing over.

Tomorrow I will be more positive, I promise. I am excited to get back on track and eat healthy. The farmers' market grabs are in the fridge as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment